Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vamos, Vamos, Vamos Argentina! (June 22, 2010)

My cousin and I woke up early to drive back to Polokwane again because we had tickets to the Argentina/Greece match. I was excited to see the 2010 FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi, who is not a very tall man, but don’t ‘Messi’ with him because he is a bad ass. Polokwane was great again, we got there two hours before the start of the match, so we walked around went to the 7-Eleven (yeah, crazy!) and there was this family that were selling these delicious hotdogs. They smelled and looked so good, that it reminded me of the Sausage Dogs at the Coca Cola 600 Race (Sorry about this year Josh Bartho)...So I had to get one! I was waiting in line and when it was my turn to order, I ordered “One Hotdog, Please” and this lady behind me corrected me saying that they are not called Hotdogs, they are “BOEREWORS DOG,” either way it was deliciousness in my hands! So I ate me dog and drank some beer on the way to the game. The game was awesome! Both teams played well and every time I looked at a Greek player’s Jersey, it reminded me of Mike Plagianakos or Maria Stathakis…the only two real Greek people I know. Everyone’s last name had a bunch of O’s, U’s, and S’s…put them all together and you probably get a common Greek name... So the game was awesome, both teams had great representation from their fans, with HUGE Argentina flags and Geek flags waving or bannered from the stadium BUT, the best part of this game were the fans from Argentina. They would not leave after the game was over. They kept hanging out singing songs in glory of Argentina and I got in the middle of the group and started jumping up and down, chanting and singing with them…it wasn’t a hard song to pick up… They seemed like they would match up well against Brazil!



Then we drove back three hours to our wonderful dorm rooms at UofJ.

1 comment:

  1. VAMSI!!!!!!!!!!! I got your postcard. Thanks so much for thinking of me and trying to get my professor rating up. I can't believe you are traveling the world. This is so cool and I will definitely be following your blog. Madinah (madinahf@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete